Chapel Hill

Chapel HillAt about 7 kilometres to the west of Brisbane’s Central Business District is the suburb of Chapel Hill.  It is one of the residential suburbs in Brisbane  with mostly detached housing.  Being in the suburb of Chapel Hill gives you that rural and countryside ambiance which makes it perfect for those who love their peace and quiet.

Today, Chapel Hill is undergoing a suburban renovation which one could consider major.  Several original houses are being renovated and updated to make way for modern living – house designs and lot divisions included.  This green suburb that is flourishing with old eucalyptus and native plants got its name from the church that farmers built in Moggill Road back in the year 1873.  


Population: The suburb of Chapel Hill had a record of 10,168 total population during the 2011 census.  Females comprise the 51.3% while the other 48.7% are males.  Its population’s median age was 3 years above the Australian median making it 40 years old.  

Lifestyles and People (Top 5):

  • Older Couples & Families – 28.3%
  • Established Couples & Families17.9%
  • Maturing Couples & Families10.3%
  • Older Independence10.2%
  • Elderly Couples8.8%

Income ($/weekly): People living in Chapel Hill has a median individual income of $785 each week.  As for the families, the median household income is about $2,329 weekly.  Employment Profile: Unemployment rate in Chapel hill is low at about 4.2%.  Of those belonging to the labour force in this suburb, employment that is full-time goes to 58.0% of them, while those employed part-time are about 33.3%.  


  • Bus – The major road through the suburb of Chapel Hill is Moggill Road and serves to connect it to Indooroopilly by the east side and Kenmore by the west side.  Another key player in terms of road and accessibility for Chapel Hill is the Western Freeway, as well as the opening of the Legacy Way tunnel.  Four of the bus routes which serve the suburb include 425, 426, 427 and 428.   
  • Cycling – Chapel Hill is one of the suburbs you cyclists can consider to be a haven.  It is extremely well serviced because of the bikeway access to the CBD.  The Centenary Bikeway, Coronation Drive Bikeway and the Sylvan Road Bike Path are key players for access for cyclists.  


Chapel Hill State School is the sole state primary school serving the residents of this suburb.  It opened (first) in the year 1872 and is located in Ironbark Road.  The current school actually opened in January of 1978 where 152 enrollees were welcomed in the 6.8 hectares of land acquired by the Queensland Government.  

The suburb of Chapel Hill is with catchments for Chapel Hill State School and Indooroopilly State School.  Students can be with quality education as both schools belong to the Top 10 highest performing primary schools in Brisbane.  Other options for education include school (private and public) in its neighbouring suburb Kenmore.  Chapel Hill is also at close proximity to the University of Queensland.

Clubs and Sports

The suburb of Chapel Hill is what you would likely describe as green, leafy and shady.  It is the type you will find to be with a relaxing vibe.  Although, shopping is never absent as the neighbouring suburb Kenmore is with its shopping centre and village that is but a 5 minute drive.  Chapel Hill is at the same time near Mount Coot-tha which is a good place for exercise, walks and recreational activities.

For children sports activities, families can check out Go-sports located at Hepworth Street.  In the same street you will also find the Kenmore Football Club (Kenmore Bears).